Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Simple Fun

Monday was Memorial Day, we remember those who have gone on before, the military service men and women who have died in the line of duty, putting flowers on loved ones graves sites, and just being together because it’s a holiday and a day off work for most. I don’t always get this day off, I typically work because there are other holidays I’d rather be off, but because I am still on sick leave, recovery from surgery, I was off and it was great.

Kim and I actually did 4 cemeteries on Friday, 7 grave sites. I am not sure if Kim grew up doing this as a kid, I’m pretty sure they went camping or worked on the farm. But I grew up visiting every site, and grandma and mom would cut their own flowers, the Irises and Roses from their gardens, cover
the cans in foil and off we’d go, often ending in a family Bar-B-Q- at grandma's sister, Maxine’s, home.

This year was so simple but so fun. Karen and I
thought is would be nice to have a family Bar-B-Q at her house. Not everyone could come, but with those that did, we had a great time. We ate great food, everyone brought their best salads, beans, fruit salsa, 7 layer dips, home made root beer, ice cream bars, chips , ect.
A ball throwing game, a very serious game of croquet, a numbers card game that took some strategy, and
my personal favorite PIT were a few of the games played.

We then walked up to the Valley View cemetery, for the last of our flowers, where mom and dad are buried and Justin’s grandpa and a few other family friends. I can’t remember a more enjoyable day in a very long time. I felt MOM with us and knew how happy she was that we were together and having fun and creating new memories.

I am so blessed to have family, people who you can laugh with (and at), play with, talk to, remember with and just hang out with. The Lord really knew what he was doing when he made the Family the center of his plan.


1 comment:

Bing Math said...

I had no idea that you had a Memorial Day party. Sounds like fun!