Thursday, November 8, 2007

HIGH on the Lords Work

And I mean HIGH. The other RS councilor and I went and did some visiting tonight to new sisters. Our 1st visit was with a sweet widow women new to Utah after serving a mission here a few years ago and wanted to come back and live, She is a convert and so sweet and active with such a strong testimony. After we left I said I don’t think our next visit will be quite the same.

We knocked and shouted we were from the RS and had come to visit. We entered a smoke filled room and were told right off that the guy there was smoking marijuana, just so we knew. But this was her apartment. We were then told that the room over there, as she pointed, was the one she needed help cleaning, because it was full of fruit flies. Confused yet, well we were. We tried to just ask nice friendly questions and she said this wasn’t her husband but she was getting a divorce. We just asked if we could get her full legal name and birthday so we could get her records sent to the ward and then maybe the bishop could help her. She doesn’t know her real name. because I think her mom is dead or gone and that her grandma just put some random name on her birth certificate, but did I want her DNA? When she finally gave us a name and date we had forgotten a pencil and she asked the boy to get one and he said no because he didn’t have any pants on, so I told him to stay put and we’d remember the info. I thought that maybe they were both HI. I then noticed a highchair and asked if she had a child, NO but I am 8 months preg. Now this whole thing isn’t so funny. And my eyes are staring to itch and we really need to get out of there. A few more very strange things are said and we finally leave. This young women had called our bishop earlier in the week asking for $$$ help. She wouldn’t or couldn’t give him any personal information and didn’t want any one to visit, so guess who gets the job, the RS presidency.

How do people get so messed up? She is only 24 yrs. old. What happens in their lives that this is how they want to live? Why are others so blessed with the desire and will to be the best they can, and want to improve their lives? I may not be the smartest person, or the wealthiest, but I am so grateful and blessed to have the love of good parents, a wonderful husband, loving and supportive children, and most of all the gospel in my life. Life is hard for a lot of people, but as we all know from personal and observation of others, that you can still be a good person with good values if you keep the Lord in your life.

1 comment:

Kofa High Sports Medicine said...

The answer to that "how to people get so messed up?" question is the question I ask daily when I come to school to teach pregnant, drugged up, suicidal, or narcissistic 14-18 yr olds. I find the answer most certainly lies in their what their family life is like. I know that's how I got so "messed up." ;)