Friday, November 16, 2007

The sweetest thing


Thursday at work we had the cutest little women, 92 yrs. old in a room close to the desk. Her husband looked to be the same age if not a little older. Both so cute and tiny and bent over, but at least still able to walk and get around. They live in an assisted living together, and I am sure they spend almost every waking moment together. He was with her most of the day and would go walking with her during her exercises, right by her side. Just that was a great sight, but 2 or 3 times during the day while she was up in the chair or in bed I would suddenly hear someone singing, and it was him. Just a sweet, soft, crackly voice. I couldn't really hear all the words or recognize the tunes, but he was singing, maybe to her, maybe to himself, but singing. We so often see very sad things, but this almost made me cry. Now my husband is great, but I can honestly say he has never sang to me, I'm not sure what I'd do or how I'd act, but I am sure I would laugh, and he even has a great voice


Depending on the events of your life, growing old may not be such a great blessing, in it's self, but what a blessing to have someone to grow old with. To still hold hands with and talk to and share the events of the day, or just hear a song or two.


Every couple have their own path to make. I am grateful for someone in my life that I can keep on the path with and hold hands.

No comments: