Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday best

When I was little we had 3 pairs of shoes. Not because we were poor, but that’s all we needed. We had our play shoes, our school shoes and our church shoes. We also had our play clothes, our school clothes and our Sunday clothes. Never would our mom, or me with my kids growing up, mix up the three. At least until they could make their own decisions and they knew those decisions wouldn’t meet with my disapproval. I would hear more than once “I hate Sunday clothes”, but at least they knew the difference.

We grew up with some poor families and they might have had only one pair and one clothing change and everyone understood, but that was still not the norm.

I am not going to be politically correct here. So where are all the Sunday Clothes and what has happened to the pride of dressing to show respect for being in our chapels, the house of the Lord on Sunday and worshiping there?

Not every little boy needs to be in a tie or little suit, or little girl in a fancy dress, but I do know that a little pair of dress slacks are no more expensive than Levis. So when I see kids in Levi shorts and colorful flip-flops and play tees I am very disappointed in their parents and I know that they are not teaching their kids what it means to be in the House of the Lord, and to show respect by our appearance.

I won’t get into the adult female wearing good old flip-flops to church on this blog, because we know how the church feels about those and especially if worn to enter the temple. Now if your 8-9 months pregnant and nothing else fits be my quest.

I am grateful that my mother taught me that showing respect to our Father in Heaven is done in many different ways.

2 comments:

Bing Math said...

James and I were having a similar discussion Sunday morning while I was complaining about whomever the dumb person was who invented nylons. Anyway . . . I had to explain tha my mom taught me to never wear open-toed things to church. She also said that you should wear advertisements or any knd of insignias on jackets or whatever, to church.

Kami (tayo) said...

Can I get an AMEN!?!