Tuesday, March 25, 2008

book review

About 6 months ago I sort of forced myself to be invited into a Book Club. I love to read and I really like to talk about what I’ve read, rather good or bad. Well what I’ve learned since being in the club is we don’t really talk much about the book, but we do a lot of talking and seem to have a good time doing it.

Melanie was given, for Christmas, a reading log book. Something I really think is a great idea. How many times have you finished a book and then wanted to tell someone about it and forgot the name or author, or for yourself the great ideas or points from the book. So I’ve made up my own reading log book and I am going to try and keep a record of what I read and if it’s good or bad.

I do wish however that books could have a rating standard, something like movies. Only because I recommended a book that came highly recommended by Melanie to our club and we all wanted to read it. I’ve now finished it and I only hope the occasional language doesn’t offend anyone. So far, since I’ve been in the club, we haven’t read anything with bad language. So I guess at the next gathering I’ll find out.
Anyway the book was ‘My Sisters Keeper” by Jodi Picoult. It only took me a few days to finish the book and Monday night about 6:30 I just knew I had to try and finish it. I had about 150 pages left and as I’m reading I keep checking to see how many aages were left, not because I’m tired and want to be done, but because I don’t want it to be finished, the ending takes you completely by surprise, but you know you won’t be happy or completely satisfied when you are finished. All the way through the book you keep asking yourself, as a parent what would I do, how I would handle the constant crisis that this family is in? It is a great read and even though the language has some rough spots I would also recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/My-Sisters-Keeper-Jodi-Picoult/dp/B000OV170W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205902388&sr=1-

Now one I’m not so sure I would recommend. “The Appeal” by John Grisham. I have read all his books and have loved them all. But this one, made me so angry and frustrated, something I am sure he was going for, but I honestly have to say I did not enjoy the read. But he is a good writer, and just like all his other books I am sure this one could be true and that just makes it all the more frustrating. So this one has a partial recommendation. His other one that came out just before “Playing for Pizza” that was fun and very relaxing, if you like football you will probably really like this book.

I am grateful I enjoy reading.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Oh yeah... I forgot there was a couple of swears in the book.