Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Now is the time

For some reason I have this week off, I don't remember asking for it, we didn't have anything planned, but when it appeared on the schedule I was happy to take it. So each day I've tyred to plan some thing different to get done. Monday I went to Mom's for about 2 1/2 hrs . We had planned to cont. working on her life history, which we had started when she lived with me, but a friend of hers and Melanie came by, so we visited with them for a while and then we worked on the history. It was nice to just sit and talk and learn things I had never heard before and many I had, but I just kept typing and we had a nice time.

Then 4 of the 5 siblings meet at a Mortuary, of Mom's choice, and made pre-funeral arrangements. That was strange. I have never looked at caskets before, never knew the difference between a sealed and non-sealed vault, prices of opening and closing the ground, never really thought about the needs and wants for the arrangements, the prices for everything that goes with a "nice" funeral. Flowers, cars, open, closed, glasses and jewelry on or off, how many people, the prices even differ if it's a weekday vs a weekend. It was very overwhelming, but Karen and Paul have gone through this before and handled and took responsibility for most of the details. One thing about doing it now, when we really have no idea when it will be needed, is that you can do it in a relaxed fashion and even joke at times.


But this whole thing really got me thinking. Kim and I need to do this now, make and pay for most of the arrangements before it becomes necessary, and our children won't have to do it, or one of us in a stressful and hurried situation. Just the money alone is overwhelming. I asked the man helping us, what do people do who don't have this kind of money readily available and we were told it just has to go on credit, "because we can't reposes a casket, once your in it it's yours". So who knows maybe that will be our next "big expense". Plus Kim said then he could pick out the pine box he wants with nothing fancy, and believe it or not they have them.


Tuesday was a little lighter, I made a new porch decoration for fall, cleaned house a little, went visiting teaching, finished some vinyl orders, just hung out and later buzzed Gordon's hair for him. Not sure what today we'll bring, but I'm just back from my gym, and I have to go shopping.


Lots to be thankful for, but I love that I have brothers and sisters,who are so smart and that I am not alone in making these very difficult decisions for my Mom who we all love so very much.

2 comments:

Kami (tayo) said...

Are you ever coming back to work? GOSH!!! I feel like I haven't seen you for an eternity! I'm glad you've had some much-deserved down time though. I might have to steal some of Lupe's hours on Sat. just so I can see you!:) I've decided to go back to school. We'll have to chat! Glad you're enjoying your time off!

... said...

Your porch decoration looks just like the picture! Great Job...you're so talented!