Friday, February 29, 2008

Money Money Money

It’s been awhile since my last post and I have actually done a few things but I just haven’t been in the blogging mood. Kim and I went to St. George for a get-a-way/anniversary /to find warmer weather trip last week. We have gone to the Parade of Homes there before and it’s a fun activity. We get to see how some of the “unknown other half”, live. The homes were fantastic with all the newest of everything, and decorated for kings and such, but seriously Who are these “other people” that need that much space, that many family rooms, bathrooms, private balconies, hidden and secret passages, bowling lanes, 3 TV’s, on one wall, and that was actually in a few homes, showers that you and a few of your closest 20 friends and family could share, at once! Many of you have probably seen the e-mail going around about the home Keith Barton, the lawyer, lost and had to have auctioned off. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=152928 I am sure it has been hard on his family to have to sell their home, and maybe I have a very tiny amount of jealousy but I am unable to understand the need to build something like these homes. I know if you have the money you should spend it and put in back into the economy, but the words moderation, modesty and gluttony come to mind and I would hope that I would want to give back and help others if my income was that great.

I heard an interview with Richard Paul Evans once and he said that he and his wife were truly worried about the sudden money and fame they were coming into after the hit books he had written. They had some serious conversations about what that money could do for them both good and bad, and they didn’t want it to change them or their values, so they started the Christmas Box house and have also started other charity type things so that they would be more grounded and stay focused on other people and others needs.

Our communities need the rich, don’t get me wrong. And I would love a new and updated kitchen, along with a few other newer home changes, but Kim and I both said more than once after seeing some of the homes in St. George, that we might be a little embarrassed to have one of them. But not to worry we didn’t even qualify for the one that the builder was willing to pay the entire 1st yr.s monthly payment of $10,000 (per month) and that include a New Hummer.

I pray that no matter what my financial situation ever becomes that I will find ways to help those who need help and be smart about what the Lord has given us.

No comments: