Wednesday, December 5, 2007

#3 happened

On Sunday I mentioned that we had had 2 funerals in 2 weeks, well #3 happened. We had a still birth Mon. and they are having a grave side service,and a lunch after on Sat. So maybe we are done now for a few months. These kind of things are so difficult. Since I've been in the the RS presidency we have had 2 baby deaths. These kinds of things are hard to understand. Especially when you see mom's who really don't want and can't care for the ones they have.

Tonight after work the other counselor and I meet the Bishop at the DI for the bishops DI shopping night. We had 3 sisters who needed help for Christmas and so the Bishop gave them a dollar amt. and they can shop. There are a lot of totally new things, blankets, toys, bedding, coats, and odds and ends and then the normal DI stuff. They are so organized and ready for the shoppers. It is very very crowded, not just with the shoppers, but all the RS leaders and all the Bishops. Mostly we just stand around and wonder around looking at stuff, and telling each other "I could use this", and "I wish I could shop".
What amazed me the most is what they choose to buy. One women was totally practical. New coat, bedding, towels, game, a few VHS movies, pillows. Just stuff that seemed necessary, but not really fun. The other women did get her young son new boots, coat and snow pants, but the rest was just junk, really, junk. I'm not even sure what she planned to do with these things. They didn't seem to be gifts for anyone, just random stuff. I guess everyone has different needs.
So what would you buy at the DI, assuming most of you have been there before, if you were given $150.00? It really is a nice program and it lets the Welfare system shine and be put to good use.

I am so grateful that we have programs like this in the church that can help those who need help, and hopefully they are humbled and grateful for the blessings. I am of course grateful that I can contribute to the cause and that I do not have to take. Our family has been blessed through and through.

No comments: