Thursday, August 6, 2009

Melt down


Melt down. That is what I had a few days ago, a melt down. I go through my days reading other peoples blogs and thinking I don’t have anything that needs to be said, and this probably doesn’t need to be read, but I need to write it anyway.

About a 6 weeks ago I had a friend say to me “you really should apply for this new job” and then gave me a brief description of what it was all about. I hadn’t heard about the position because I had been off for 6 weeks for surgery and had only been back to work for 3 shifts. So I left work at 5:15pm, went to a play, in SLC, at 7pm, and by 11:30 I had applied for this job, the deadline was Midnight. Needless to say I really didn’t give it much thought.

Within 2 days I had an interview set up, 2 days after that interview I had the second one arranged. One week later I was hired for this new position, new department to the hospital , new computer system to run the department and by accepting this position I was also committing to finish my nursing degree with a bachelors degree, (I have 2 associates but it is required to have a bachelors).

I have been in training for 2 weeks. Now remember this is not nursing practices that I am learning, that would at lest be building on things I had a base knowledge for, this is all computer interactions and multi tasking with every department in the hospital, along with every Team Leader for each department and making decision as to where that patient will be placed and how fast that needs to happen. There is so much more to it than this but to try and explain it all would cause a melt down here at the key board. But after each training day we all leave just over-loaded with too much information and they keep telling us, “it will come, just relax”.

So now, I have applied to the Western Governors University, which is a non-profit on line university, to complete my degree. Tuesday night I had to take a qualifying test on line for acceptance. They said allow 2 hours to complete, it took me 3 hours and 15 minutes to complete, the questions were not easy and the essay question took me 30 minutes just to come up with an idea for the topic they assigned. I was so tired and frustrated that by time I was done I was asking myself, “why was I doing all this, did I need a new challenge in my life, was I trying to make my life more difficult, weren’t things going along just great, I Loved my schedule (that has been totally thrown off kilter). I love the people I work with, SO WHAT AM I DOING”?

Thus the melt down that night. Could not sleep, could not turn off my brain, could not relax, crying, worrying about the future of my church calling, time spent with family, Sunday dinner with the kids, working an occasional night shift, ( I really don’t care about that), not working with my friends as much, having a Dr. get mad for a decision I’ve been instructed to make, taking too long in getting the patients placed, trust me the list goes on and on. Just typing this has made me tear-up.

So here I am, with only about 10 years left to what has been a good career, doing something so new, so out of my comfort zone, my knowledge scope, trying my very best to develop skills, that until 6 weeks ago, I didn’t even know existed. I want to do my best, to prove to myself that age doesn’t matter in the learning realm, that I can be put out of my comfort zone and be OK.

So if you are trying to do something that seems hard, give me a call and I tell you good luck, relax and it will come and my favorite “If I can do it anyone can”.

6 comments:

Janika said...

I loved reading this! You are the GREATEST and I know you will do well with your new job! Hang in there. You will get a chance to relax tomorrow (with a stinkey head of course). Good Luck and see ya soon!

japetersen said...

Lee Ann --
You can do it! I know you can!
Judy

snow family said...

What??!! You left cvtu?? What is this new department? That's awesome that you took the job. You are such a great nurse, and even a better person to work with! I'm sure they picked the perfect person. Good luck!

Justin said...

Keep perspective: "Work has been a part of the human experience since the time of Adam, who worked by “the sweat of [his] face” (Gen. 3:19). Yet, for our pioneer predecessors work was more than a mere necessity to provide for their physical welfare. It was far from being an unpleasant fact of a stern, cheerless existence to be avoided whenever possible. Rather, and typical of the attitude of the times, work was viewed favorably as a divinely appointed means for people to engage in worthwhile endeavors and to bring about joyful accomplishments. An all-wise Heavenly Father made honest toil a vital part of our mortal condition and a key factor in our personal growth and development. A healthy work ethic is as much the mainspring of human progress and satisfaction in life now as it was in pioneer times. No matter what our careers are, the nature of our work, though likely quite different from that of the pioneers, can still be demanding and difficult. Meeting the challenges of our work with the same commitment, tenacity, and intensity of our pioneer counterparts is reflective of the unchanging high ideals inherent in devotion to the gospel." By Ronald O. Barney

Bing Math said...

Good luck LeeAnn. You'll be fine! I am a little overwhelmed, too and feel a meltdown coming on (if that's any consulation). Keep plugging.

Haley

Bing Math said...

I am stressed also, but mine is coming from trying to become a nurse. How hard can it be, you made it through Nursing school. I think that you will use the Nursing experience. I just think that they don't focus on teaching you more on nursing and want you to use what knowledge you have to place patients. Though I can only imagine, what this new job insues.
Good luck and I will hang in there with you.