Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sundays, Life and a Slow day at work!


I have worked Sundays for as long as I have worked, 30 years. I started when I was 12yrs. old. But it has never gotten easier. There are a lot of reasons why I do it and here are a few. When the kids were little we didn't use daycare, Kim was home and took over. It just always seemed to work. But now I just can't bring myself to work 5days a week. I'm not sure if I'm spoiled or lazy or just set in my ways, but I love having days off during the week. When no one else is home, the stores are less busy, I can work on crafts, (never house work), or go visit friends or MOM.

I have always been able to hold church positions though. When I was the Young Women pres.I would work Sunday nights and still be there each Sunday. And now in the RS pres. they just make due on Sundays. But I am able to help during the week with all the other stuff that happens. We have had 22 deaths in the 4yrs.so lots of Ham and potatoes. We would never be able to count the Births; we have very young and fertile water in Roy. So I hope the years I've worked and the meetings I've missed won't keep me out of heaven.

Over the years I have had off and on quilt about being a working mom, and not having the cleanest house in town, and canning every fruit off the tree and making my own levis. But I have learned to be very organized, and to prioritize what is really important with family and church. I was very willing to go without sleep (when I was young) and rearrange my schedule for all the family stuff, so I hope my kids and husband haven't been too scared from our choice for me to work.

I have always admired any young couple who make the opposite choice, to stay home. Kim didn't want me to work, but he had never told me what to do. He always said if you want to stay home you can. I grew up afraid of being left alone, of death, and so I had certain things I had do in my life. I wanted all my kids by time I was 32yrs. old, and needed my degree by then too. And I did. Turning 32 was very very hard for me and that is why I am still 32! Don't ask why unless you want the whole story.

I have rambled on and on and if you've even read this far you are most likely very board. But I have been very blessed to have the job I have and the even greater family I have with all their love and support. Until the next slow Sunday.

3 comments:

Kofa High Sports Medicine said...

ok...you shouldn't feel guilty for not being home to make fruit jam and homemade LEVI's? You did your kids a favor by not being one of those kind of moms! Plus, all your kids are on my "cool people" list, so you did a great job.

Annie said...

Hi Auntie LeeAnn. I think you're a good aunt, too. Add that to the list of things that fall under the category of: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and dog-gone-it, people like me."

Jodi said...

I love you mom. And besides if you were always at church I couldn't go home early with Dad!